Cappagh is a small parish in west Limerick. It is surrounded by the parishes of Askeaton to the North, Rathkeale to the south, Croagh to the east and Coolcappagh to the west.
The patron saint is St James (same as the Camino). Its’ name ‘An Ceapach’ is derived from the townland in which the original church was built and mean’s a tillage plot.
It has neither shop, public house nor post office but that does not deter it from being a great place of welcome.
The following history is taken in the main with the permission of Frank Whelan from his book “Cappagh a sense of history”, which he first published in 1987.
The old village of Cappagh
In 1831 the village of Cappagh had twenty houses. There were two public houses, a carpenter’s shop, four shoemaker’s shops, a forge and a police station!!. The village was located at the other end of the parish to where it is now.
Picture of Cappagh village layout 1850 from Frank’s book ‘Cappagh a sense of history’