This is a fascinating, hand written account of life in the parish since the 1800’s. Parish events were faithfully recorded by successive parish priests and as such this is an invaluable and accurate record of parish events. I have included a copy of a few pages and a summary of some of the events recorded.
Cappagh Chronicle Typed
A selection of entries
1839:January Night of the big wind
1841: 93 baptisms in the parish
1854: Martin Haverty built Kilbeha Oratory and Cross with statues by the sculptor Hogan
1860: History of Ireland for schools and colleges written by Martin Haverty of Kilbeha House
Summer 1866: School build by Right Hon Viscount Southwell. Mr James Burke and his wife from Abbeyfeale were the principals of the boys and girls schools respectively.
1877: Rev Robert Cussen left monies to build the chancel and high alter. The alter of our Lady of Lourdes was erected by Mrs White of Nantenan.
1883: Alter of St Joseph and stations of the cross erected in memory of Thomas Hayes of Callow
1888: Margaret Burke took over as headmistress of the girls school being not more than 18 years of age.
1899: 42 for confirmation
1901: William White killed in action in south Africa aged 24. A window was erected in the church to his memory by his mother Mrs Emily White.
1930: William Murphy appointed headmaster of the boys school
1905: Stations of the cross erected by Rec Curtin to the memory of Thomas and Margaret HJayes, Callow
1910: Cappagh pipe band formed , tutored by Mr Sammon of Limerick. Chairman Mic Doody, Sec Jim O Connell. Members David Ned and Moss Hennessy, /david and Par Kennedy, Joe and Tom Cregan, Tom Scanlon, Jim Donnell, Maurice Fitzgerald, pat Sullivan, jim nash.
1915: Rev Canon Begley appointed PP of Cappagh.
1917: Cappagh dramatic society started under the chairmanship of Fr O shea PP. Cast included Briget Kennedy, Mary Duggan, Kathleen Hennessy, Margaret Burns, Molly Kennedy, Briget Fitzgerald , Briget Dore, Tom Barry, Tom Murphy, Moss Hennessy, David Kennedy, Paddy Kennedy, Bríd Barry, Martin Hennessy, Gaile Buckley, Paddy O Grady, Michael Cahill
1919: William Boyle appointed assistant in the boys school.
1924: Junior hurling team formed.
1924: Baptistery and railing erected to the memory of Kennedy Hayes
July 29 1928: Celebration of St James held at Nantenan. Several thousand people marched from the Church to the well where the rounds were performed. Sports were afterwards held in Capt. White’s field
1931: Retirement of William Murphy as principal of the school after 41 years service. He was succeeded by Thomas Herr from Bruff, who was succeeded by Brian Lennon a native of Kilkee in Feb 1932. James Normoyle was appointed assistant
1932: Bernard Lennon from Kilkee appointed headmaster and James Normoyle of Glin, assistant.