Located near Nantenan church and graveyard just off the R518 between Askeaton and Rathkeale.
Rounds are still done and mass celebrated there each year on St James’ day.
Beside the well is the fair field where fairs were held on 10th July, 5th August and 12th November during the
seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Like other fairs of its time it too had its faction fights between the two-year- olds and the three-year-olds, two well known factions in the area.
Pattern day is from la an phatrœin or patrons
The stone plaque on the side of the well is dated 1750 but tradition has it that the well was visited long before then. One story has it that it goes back to pagan times. When St Patrick was converting the Irish, the pagan ritual of visiting the well was used to his advantage. The well was dedicated to one of his holy men and the annual visit there was made to include praying while walking round the well. It is this tradition that has
It was lovely this year 2016 to see the pattern day revived. Below are some photos of the day thanks to Ollie Harnett.