The line from Limerick to Foynes via Ballingrane was built in 1858 and the first stationmaster was Patrick Clancy. His successors were Joe Geoghagan, Tom Ward, Paddy Forrest, Larry Fagan and Paddy Cregan. In 1861 the Rathkeale and Newcastle West Junction Railway Company was formed and work began on the line from Ballingrane to Newcastle West. Progress was slow due to the lack of funds. A completion fund was launched in November 1865 and the £5,000 necessary for its completion was collected in a short few months from local interests and, in January 1867, the Ballingrane to Newcastle West ten mile stretch was opened.
Ballingrane soon became a busy station with constant traffic of goods and passenger trains. After the August fair of 1916 in Newcastle West over ninety wagons of cattle and sheep were transported through Ballingrane to onward destinations. At its peak four passenger trains and one goods train operated through Ballingrane each day in addition to the traffic to Foynes.
After the “emergency” (1939 to 1945), the Limerick to Newcastle West operations were scaled down and, by 1963, apart from the occasional specials to Knock and so on, passenger services were withdrawn. The Ballingrane/ Rathkeale line was closed down in 1977 but the Ballingrane/ Foynes line continued to be busy due to the haulage of barytes from Silvermines.